The greenest dining room chairs are the ones that use reclaimed or recycled materials, organic fibers and sustainable manufacturing practices. If you don’t already have green dining chairs, this guide will help you find some. If your old dining room chairs are barely hanging in there, and you don’t want Uncle Tony to come crashing down when he sits down for dinner the next time he visits, you need to find some sturdy and sustainable dining room chairs that will not only stand the test of time, but look good doing it.
In this Green Buying Guide, we will give you the low down on some of the most eco-friendly dining chairs out there. From FSC-certified wood to organic cotton to recycled materials, these green dining chairs chairs feature the best elements from some of our favorite sustainable designers. And, they are sure to please your hungry guests as much as your cooking (OK, for some of you, more than your cooking). Whether your style is elegant and formal or sleek and modern, hopefully you’ll find a green dining room chair here to suit your taste.
- What: Orbit Chair by Ross Lovegrove
- Why: Made from super resource-efficient bent plywood and certified by GREENGUARD, which means less nasty chemicals that can volatilize to create poor indoor air quality.
- Nice touch: Stackable up to 6 high.
- What:Arbor Armchair by J. Persing
- Why: Webbing made out of durable post-industrial seatbelts, “Eco-Benefit Ply-bending techniques” saves 8 to 10 times as much wood as solid lumber.
- Nice touch: Customizable wood and webbing colors.
- What: Cain Chair by STAACH
- Why: Sustainable wood from New York and Pennsylvania, non-toxic glues and low-VOC lacquers.
- Nice touch: Can be upholstered to fit in with any dining room design scheme.
- What: Railroad Tie Dining Chairs by VivaTerra
- Why: Awesome hardwood without the guilty conscience. Made from 100% reclaimed teak, pine and ironwood railroad ties.
- Nice touch: Weathered wood shows this seat has a history.